Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bedtime for Quinten

Quinten asked to sleep in his big boy bed Saturday night. While I was not really prepared mentally, I said ok. Without an exact routine, it did not go well. He screamed and cried intensely when I left the room. I did the Super Nanny thing and inched my way out but each time I was near the door, he started again. Mark talked me into taking him downstairs to see if he would fall asleep. While he was quiet, sleep never entered his mind! I took him back up, sang to him and laid him down. This time he whimpered but he quickly fell asleep. Tonight we read our books; rocked in the chair; said our prayers and then it was time for bed. Mark put him down and that was that! Quinten has transitioned easily in all his growth and development phases-nursing to a bottle; cereal to food; walking without ever falling really; diapers to underwear. When he is ready for the next stage, he just does it. This transition made me sad as it emphasized to me that he is growing and does not need me all the time. That unconditional love, while still there, is demonstrated when he wants to show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment