Saturday, April 24, 2010

Uncle Don's Funeral


Sarah and Megan Clifton and Ashley


Mary, Connie, Larry, Patti, Steve, Suzanne, Janet

My father's elder brother, Don, passed away April 15th at the age of 77. The funeral service was held this past Wednesday. The pictures above are the cousins at the lunch following the funeral. This was my first return visit since my Grandmother's death and funeral last July. It was bittersweet as the memories came flooding back. Everything from childhood trips, river times, laughing and playing with cousins to the most recent pain of my grandmother's death. I think of her often and still miss her terribly. Death and funeral sometimes bring out the worst in people as they deal with grief. This funeral however, had a positive aspect. I had not seen my oldest cousin Connie in over 25 years. Her brother was almost as long with the exception of seeing him at our grandmother's funeral last year. While I could spend time pondering about the past and wishing it had been different, what we have is today. Today, God gives you a new chance to live in His likeness. We are human and can never be fully like Him, we can give it our best attempt. Today, I want to be the best person and not be judgmental and critical. Today, I want to relish my life on Earth. Today, I want to thank God for the beautiful life he has give me. Today, I want to let bygones be bygones and fill my heart with love and forgiveness. Today, I want to remember that it is not my place to judge other people's words and actions. Today, I want to know that those words and action may cause pain but God can take that pain away. Today is the day that the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment