Sunday, November 8, 2009

H1N1 immunization

Due to Quinten's asthma, Janet really wanted Quinten immunized against the H1N1 virus. His pediatrician's office is not getting the vaccine which left the mass clinic's as the only option. Saturday a clinic came to the church literally down the street from our home. Given the long lines reported with all previous clinics, Janet opted to get there >2 hours early. She was already number 75 at 6:45! However, I brought my coffee, chair and a book. At the last minute I grabbed Lauren's coat which became critical as we waited outside in low 30 degree's. I assumed they would have allowed us inside-wrong! At 8:30, the line extended farther than you could imagine and there was no place to park. Mark brought Quinten to the church only to be literally harassed and screamed at bu the Gahanna police. The police allowed Mark to drop him off to me.

Quinten has an egg allergy but his allergist thought it was a good idea and wrote directions on splitting the dose to limit reaction. It took a few calls to his office and Mark driving over there to get signed orders. Janet then spent time on the phone confirming Quinten would be given the immunization as directed. That morning she saw a nurse in the restroom who confirmed they would do the split immunization. We get into the large room (after Janet had been waiting for over 2.5 hours) and up to the table only to be told no. I said "I have called and was given the ok". The supervisor relented and said the allergist should come to the clinic.

Quinten told me before we entered the church that he would cry. I told him that was ok and it would hurt but it was keeping him healthy. He was a real trouper until we started toward the immunization table. He became hysterical. The large crowds; the noise; the unknown got to him and he was screaming and trying to run away. It took 4 people to hold him down. I was on the verge of crying and trying to keep it together. I was really wishing Mark had stayed. We waited > 20 minuted as directed and then returned for shot number 2. A complete repeat of the 1st with many people holding him down and Quinten screaming.

When we returned home, Mark asked how it went. Quinten said "fine". Unbelievable! I had been through the ringer and he was fine! Love the toddler perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment